Control Valves for Two-Phase Separation

Control Valves for Two-Phase Separation

Producers use two-phase separators to separate produced fluid from produced gas. Some of these separation vessels are made with 1" connections for the controller. Kimray offers three solutions for controlling the separation in these vessels.

Pneumatic Level Switch with External Float Cage

A Pneumatic Level Switch is a good option for two-phase separation, because it’s not trying to hold interface, just tells the dump valve to open or close.

In this set up, the pneumatic level switch is installed with an external float cage. You route two things to this cage: liquid from the controller connection, and a 1" equalizer line from the top of the separation vessel.

The cage has a chamber where liquid collects, and gas from the top equalizes the pressure in the cage to match the vessel pressure.

Once the liquid in the cage gets high enough, the switch will trigger and send a pneumatic signal to the dump valve, telling it to open and dump fluid from the separator.

Weight-Operated Dump Valve

A second solution for this application is a Weight-Operated Dump Valve.

Install the weight-operated valve where the existing dump valve is located if you are doing a retrofit.

The weight-operated dump valve uses hydrostatic pressure to control the level of fluid within a two phase separator.

Producers install it with an equalizing line run from the top of the vessel. This line maintains equalizing pressure on the valve.

To make an adjustment to the dump level, move the weight on the lever bar of the valve.

Electric Pilot and Control Valve

If you’re looking for an electric solution for two-phase separation, our Electric Pilot and and Valvcon Electric Actuator are the best options.

The pilot uses a sensor to reads the level inside the vessel. It then sends an electric signal to the Valvcon electric actuator, which opens or closes the valve.

To learn more about any of these solutions, contact your local Kimray store or authorized distributor.